Achill Island, Co. Mayo
Achill Oysters ethos is simple, to grow great tasting oysters and deliver them fresh, with minimum impact to the environment. They’ve won awards and accreditation for both their produce and working methods – recognised for the lengths they go to to ensure customers get nothing but the healthiest, most delicious oysters money can buy.
Knowing exactly where your oysters came from is vital for any chef and it’s the methods Achill Oysters use, to get them tasting and looking as good as they do when they arrive into SOLE seafood restaurant Dublin, that sets them apart. This involves:
- Taste: Meaning the stock they raise, which is Pacific Oysters (crassostrea gigas). Their diet is 100% Atlantic – filtered from the Class A certified wild waters off the west coast of Ireland. They grow in a sandy bay, which lies atop an ancient, sunken peat bog – the source of their oysters’ unique taste.
- Health: Grown in certified Class A waters, they’re completely free of artificial foods or additives and are purified in salt water before delivery.
- Size and shape: Their oysters’ deep cup is derived from the constant movement of the ocean through the trestles, and their tending to them. They shake the bags regularly to boost the meat content of the animals and get that deep cup shape.
- Heritage: Traditionally grown using trestles and bags, they are carrying on a tradition that’s been in operation for centuries and helping make sure it’ll still be going strong for centuries’ to come.
- Sustainability: With a commitment to sustainable farming that benefits the landscape, wider environment, local community and economy, you are supporting ethical business every time you enjoy one of their oysters.